|

Friday, October 28, 2005

A Rant Involving The Music Industry

Welcome one and all to this theatre of mass destruction. Another time for the fuck you cannon to be fired at another corporate bunch of scum.



Seeing people flock to iTunes with thier iPod shows me only one thing...you really have been led to believe something that's not real. In the music scene I've seen a lot of ranting and shit like that about how MP3s are killing the industry. Well, I have a few things to say for that.



1. I own an MP3 player and it's not an iPod. It still has the shuffle, it still has a lot of features and will cram about 52 songs into it. 256 MB of pure mayhem and that's all I truly need. It's tiny, slings around my neck and I didn't spend $300 on it. I spent $60 on it. Now many ask why I did that. Well it's quite simple. The CD walkmans and packing about five CDs just became cumbersome while I was out for my walk or my ride. One MP3 player, 52 songs, and then I don't have to pack around so much. One button operation, backlit display and then comes part two.



2. The MP3s sound great. I've heard the arguements surrounding the so-called "poor quality" of the sound of MP3s. Well, to be honest, I still buy the CDs when they're not donated and then I rip them to my computer and encode them into MP3 format. When transferring them to my MP3 player, I've noticed no difference in sound whatsoever. The sound on my MP3 player is superb, giving me maximum musical enjoyment.



3. I've bought the CDs. Every MP3 on my player is something I've bought or has been donated in some promotional form or another and let's not make mistakes, I listen to it all. Let's face it, music is an addiction with me and while I'm out and about, I like to listen to my music even if I just got done playing it on the show. Now, because I've chosen to rip, mix and play, does this make me part of the people who "are destroying the music scene?" If so, do what I do, get a job. The truth is, it's going belly-up if everything these "Pirates" are doing is the most accurate in terms of reports. It sucks but hey, if you want to do music, you'll do it because you love the music first and foremost. Get a job to pay the bills. By the time this Napster thing got kicked off it was too far gone to really stop. You put the technology into the hands of creative individuals and guess what? They're gonna do shit with it that you weren't counting on. Take the fleas with the dog.



Personally, I've seen put their hard-earned cash into the music scene to get smacked by the very same people they've paid to hear the music. It's no wonder people have become as jaded as hell. They've seen the real faces of thier heroes. They've had enough of the "Fuck You We're Only In This For The Money" approach. Remember that when you bite the hand that feeds you, eventually the hand will stop feeding you.



Let's face facts, some people are working two jobs just to make ends meet these days. Where is the money they're supposed to be shelling out for CDs? I'm not saying be a charity case but for fuck's sake, if you wanna save the recording industry how about NOT SUING EVERYONE INTO THE FUCKING GROUND!!! This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Sure, sue the shit out of everyone with a computer and then watch your sales drop. What the hell did you expect would happen? As for the underground scene, the MP3 has done wonders for it. The invention of the MP3 has thrown the doors open for more people to find the music they didn't even know existed. The internet has been both a blessing and a curse to the music industry but the truth is, you're losing the battle and the war with your tactics. There is a way to save face, yourself, your integrity and the industry. It will involve cutting your losses but there is a way to do it.



The Mercy Cage had it right as artists. Give em special access to the site if they bought the CD. Right on, guys! Show your fans the appreciation and keep them coming back for more. It's better than bitching and complaining and grouping some of your own fans into the broad strokes you're painting everyone who owns a computer.



If Metallica had half a brain in the collective they'd have spent far less money going in for a rerecord of I Disappear rather than alienating half their fans and then scrambling to save what fanbase was left. You know sort of a "Ok, well the version that got leaked to Napster was just a demo. The MI:2 Version will be out very very soon. We're still working on that." Make sense? I just can't grasp all that controversy over one song.



Get real, quit bitching, get a job and for fuck's sake quit suing everyone into the ground expecting to get results OTHER than killing your own business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home