|

Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Vehicular Misadventure

A Vehicular Misadventure
by DJ Genocyde

My automotive situation has never been a secret. It's been a clusterfuck. From burnt clutches in the old Camaro I had to the warped heads of the Corsica and to the cracked block of the Mirage, there's been a curse on me concerning any type of vehicular structure. I've never been able to keep myself in a mode of transportation save for my feet and possibly my Mongoose, which has been faithful since I've bought it.


Now, The Camaro is back. It's an '83 model and it's seals around the glass t-tops and trunk are leaky. I've had problems starting it up since I got it back a couple of months ago. Today...success was a journey upon which I had embarked. My dad and I primed the carbuerator with gas and let fly. After a few failed attempts at keeping it running, we managed it. My dad drove it to the station and I followed in his truck. We ran into more trouble at the station when dad got a bright idea.


"Throw some gas in it," he said, "but don't shut it off....keep it running"

I did. Lo and behold, the old 350 small block began to perform a bit better.

Back at the station, the trouble began. Turning it off made the problem. The car's ignition's been fucked since forever. A button was rigged to it as a temporary fix but it became permanent. Basically...the car's been hotwired. The button had been burned out and needed replacement. Both inline feul filters had been replaced as well. After all that, the car still needed priming.

"Shit!" Dad exclaimed, "The carbuerator pump is fucked. Know anyone who can rebuild it?"

"I think so," I said, "I can talk to one of the guys I work with and see what he can do. He's on vacation though. I'll have to get his digits from someone who has 'em."

"I think I know a guy," he said, "You working tomorrow?"

"The whole weekend." I said

"Damn," he said, "Ok, lemme talk to Francis tomorrow...see what he can do. I'm sure he can rebuild it."

And that's the story....we were doing so well. Now, the rebuilding remains. I hope to have that bastard up and running soon. Hitting the gym after work with the guys again, not having to hitch to work and just having the means available of taking home more groceries than what my arms can carry...that will be a plus.

Saddening thing is I've worked around cars for several years and know little to nothing about them. I know more about computer hardware than I do about the hardware of an engine. The internal combustion engine has always been one of those things that I thought was a terrible idea. Too much dependency on a resource that won't last us another half century. I've always thought that it was high time we switched to something more viable and readily available. Ethyl Alcohol would be a great way to start.

Then again, take heart! Bush is fucking us and the environment over quite nicely!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home