|

Monday, March 05, 2007

Tommy Gunn Fires Again!

I'm sure that, along with the not-so-celebrated ferver of the movie Rocky Balboa, everyone remembers Rocky V where a washed out, dirt broke Rocky ends up right back where he started taking a wunderkind kid, Tommy "The Machine" Gunn under his wing.

His name is Tommy Morrison and he was, in real life, the wunderkind of the boxing world. He was not only a promising, energetic, up-and-coming star but he was also an upstart of sorts. He had the attitude, the technique and the physical prowess of a damn predator in the ring. God forbid you'd ever have to go up against this bad motherfucker.

That career's publicity screeched to a halt when it was announced in 1996 that Morrison was HIV positive. I was, as a kid, heavily disappointed. He wasn't a heavyweight but watching one of his matches, to me, qualified him for one of those nature shows that displays vicious attacks made by different species. His fights were magical in the least and I remembered that I loved one thing about the guy more than his fighting skill...his Devil-May-Cry Attitude. He had balls of steel to me. He could go up to anyone he wanted, say what he wanted and what the hell were they going to do about it? Me? I was a bit of an introvert but I always thought, "Man, I wish I could get away with that!" Nobody messed with him except the other fighter in the ring and I'll be damned if that dude didn't show some sort of hesitancy to strike Tommy for fear of being gunned down by those quick and savage fists concealed beneath those gloves. Even if Tommy ever lost his matches, to me, he was still a winner because he had drive, ambition, attitude and pure, solid adamantium intestine. Oh yeah, baby...guts!

Tommy fought in Japan well after the announcement was made and then...he vanished. I never heard from a man who served as a mental role model to me.

Now, he's announcing his return to boxing. Scared yet?

Ready to have your fear solidified? He's NOT HIV positive after all. He's had eight tests done during these passing years and they all came up negative. Be afraid...there's nothing holding him back now.

He did time in an Arkansas prison for drug and weapons charges. Damn, now that is a stinger but now, he's a new man with a new attack plan and I can't wait to see it. He's ten years my senior and I still look up to him. I still look forward to his comeback. Why? He's human. He's not ready to give up. This man is ready to rise and reverberate. What does that mean to you? Nothing...unless you're getting in the ring with him. Then, it means you're about to say hello to unconciousness.

Truth to be told, though, I admire the thing he said about these past years and what he's been through and why he's changed.

"Aging has a way of making you simmer down a bit," he said in an interview with the Associated Press on Feb 20th.

Perhaps in life. Perhaps, even, in your social interaction. In that ring, though, I'm ready to hear the rapid fire of Tommy "Gunn" Morrison.

ROUND ONE! LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

Hi my sweet dear friend!!
It's closing time at the library,and since my baby(my computer) is still stored,I am forced to hang out at the library...but I don't have the time to read your post before closing,so I thought I better make a mad dash to your site to say goodnight.
I'm quarantined from my day job due to a freakin bug...so instead of contaminating my job,I'll just come contaminate the library and catch up on some blog reading that I've been missing.
(cough-cough-sniffle-sniffle)
are you sure you wanna hug??
You might catch what I got!?
Oh WTF...I'm huggin' you anywayz!lol

7:53 PM  
Blogger Lord Genocyde said...

Forgot somethin...I can't die. I am not afraid of your...so-called "bug" sickness. It's Mother was a hamster and it's father smelt of elderberries. I blow my nose at it. IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFART in it's general direction. I wave my genitals at it. Le Bug is a son of a silly person. It's an empty-headed animal food trough wiper now, tell it to go away or I shall taunt it a second time!
If I can't die, I can't get sick, right?
*hugs*

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home