|

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Switchback.

Imagine being able to see the world through the eyes of someone else...literally. Imagine being someone else. Imagine seeing their world go to shit...and being able to do nothing about it.

Why would that mold your character? Who are these people?

1920's Chicago. A man's head was blown away in some dilapidated warehouse near railroad tracks. Killed by a man he trusted. The only thing he knew was survival and chasing a dollar meant killing others for it. His most trusted companion one minute took his head off using a sawed-off 12-guage shotgun loaded with double-aught buckshot.

Back farther.

During The Civil War, a simple farmboy from the north of barely 21 years of age met his end via cannonball as it bounced toward him. The last thing he saw while reloading his rifle was the black sphere as it came up from the ground and smashed itself into his face.

Back farther.

The infinite vast plain of the universe. Complete, total, whole, without borders, boundaries or divisions. From cradle to grave, through the aether and back again, I know the one thing that most deny is truth. That reincarnation does, in fact, exist. Remember the two that died so horribly? These are people wholly unrelated to me but I know I've been there. I know I've been with them from their beginnings to thier supposed ends. Now, I'm here.

Through this life I've made it farther than I did with the past two that I'm beginning to recall to some vague detail. Lives of violence, all of them and there were still more that come to me in short bursts.

I'm reminded of the nightmarish scenes that flash in my brain everytime I go to the range to qualify. I'm reminded of them everytime I pick up one of the many swords I have to practice. I'm reminded of them and I wonder if it's a trend that will never end.

I've never been one to believe in destiny...at least not that of a predetermined nature. To me, the idea that my entire life has been mapped out for me was ludicrous. Logically, if that were true then free will is an illusion but if destiny is truly what we make it, then I won't repeat the same cycle again. In this life, this time, I won't take another. I won't. I refuse to let violence run me as it has in the ones past. It's not even an option.

How is it that the lives of others can mold you in so many ways? Experiences that you could never have imagined yourself having translating to the aspect of the being that is you today almost seems impossible. Still, the Farmboy and the Thug still show me things. I still learn from them, my brain soaking experience from them like a sponge.

I only hope that I never have to repeat it.

"It's too late to look back
Ain't okay
I've got no way to
Switchback...."

-Celldweller "Switchback"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home