|

Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Dreamscape

I remember being in the backseat of the car. Still not sure what kind of car it was. I told her to slow down but she wouldn't listen. We were flying along a stretch of highway at about 70 - 80 mph and it didn't seem that anything else was on that road. The daylight outside reminded me of just how tired I was. I was just about to rest my head against the window of the back passenger door when I saw it.

An 18-wheeled semi was coming up in the other lane, heading opposite us, quickly and I sensed that it wasn't the only one. That's when it turned out I was right. The other car behind it presented itself. It was a grey sedan...though it might have been silver. I could barely make out any detail to it at all.

"Slow it down," I told her, "It's coming right upon us!"

It looked like it was going to miss us in a close call until I heard a loud BANG and then we were spinning. I braced myself as the world entered it's tailspin around me and then...

KA-BLAM! The spinning was faster now and now glass was flying from a window that had exploded (perhaps imploded?) and then...

CRUNCH! and the spinning seemed to slow down and finally, we came to a grinding halt in the middle of the road with no more traffic anywhere.

"You ok?" she asked me, her voice shaky.

"Yeah," I said, finally breathing. "I'm cool."

I tried to get out but the door wouldn't open. I unbuckled and tried the other door...it worked.
"Turn off the engine," I told her as I looked around. The semi was gone. One car was in a ditch with steam coming from its radiator, another was in it's lane, smashed and the one that hit us had it's entire driver side headlights and quarter panel taken out. Glass was everywhere and I realized that none of it was from the car of which I had just recently been an occupant.

I flipped open my phone and dialled. Police and ambulances were out there in seconds, I didn't have time to check on anyone before they all converged upon us. No one was injured seriously...a miracle in and of itself and then, my phone battery indicated that it needed recharging as it beeped angrily at me. I turned it off and told one cop everything.

That's when I noticed that everyone seemed anonymous, faceless. Even the one who'd been driving the car in which I'd been sitting. Her voice was familiar but her face...not like it wasn't there but it was like...overshadowed by something.

The damage done to us was shockingly minimal. The driver's side of the bumper was caved and a headlight and front turn signal were gone. I thought that the car would have been screwed with the way we'd been hit three times. Then, the situation became much more weird.

"I will stay forever here with you...my love
the softly-spoken words you gave me
even in death, our love goes on
and I can't love you...anymore than I do...."

Amy Lee was belting the lines from the Evanescence song "Even In Death" (most of you haven't heard that one...it's one of my favorites) from the speakers inside the car.

"You ok, son?" the cop asked me. I'm guessing he'd seen the perplexed look on my face.

"Huh?" I said. I'd spaced again, I'm sure of it.

"You alright?" he repeated, "You hurt anywhere?"

I looked myself over...my arms were unscarred. Not even so much as a mark from childhood. I removed my shades to see open daylight again and it felt...well, good.

"I'm fine." I said, still perplexed, "A little shaken but I'll be alright."

I was trying to see past the tinted windows but couldn't make out her features. What the hell was going on? I couldn't make out anyone's features.

I'm still unsure as to how we ended up at the house. It wasn't mine, it was hers.

"Can I use your phone to make a quick call?" I asked her

"Yeah, go ahead," she told me. She was talking to the cops outside and the story was being pieced together. That flying along that stretch of highway was legal. I had never known they'd raised the speed limit until they told me. I picked up the phone and the dialtone was broken...messages.

I dialed the voicemail number and punched in the passcode. I still don't know how I knew it. Two voicemail messages popped up. One for me which was unimportant and another one to her from a co-worker of mine wanting to know where she was at. She was supposed to meet him. I found myself thinking, "What the hell is he doing meeting with her?" and then a few things started to make sense...or maybe it was jealousy but I still didn't know for certain who she was yet. I deleted it after replying, relating all the day's information to the co-worker. Maybe that would make him get the picture.

"Hey," she said, startling me, "They want to talk to you some more."

That's when I turned around and my eyes widened. I'd seen her in full detail now and I remembered.

"You ok?" she asked me, "You look like you've just seen a ghost?"

I woke up, limbs moving like hell, scrambling. When I realized it was just my bedroom and some DVD I'd popped into the player that was going, I calmed down to catch my breath.

"Fuck," I said as I relaxed. I went to the fridge and got a bottle of the water I'd been drinking before I went to bed and killed the rest of it.

The dreams have been getting weirder and weirder, now that I'm having them again. Truth is, I had seen a ghost. It wasn't nice at all. I never made it out of that room. She was another friend of mine that had died from an O.D. a long time ago. I looked down at the pentacle with the skulls hanging from around my neck. I couldn't remember if I'd worn it in the dream or not but apparently, something linked me right back to it. What? I have no idea.

Rayne walked into the hallway from the living room and caught me about to head into the bathroom.

"You ok?" she asked.

"If you say I look like I've seen a ghost, I'll pinch you," I said in all seriousness and went inside, shutting the door.

It wasn't until later that I had told her about it and she had told me she figured it was one hell of a dream the way I tossed about.

There's probably no explanation for these things. If they're just dreams, I'm happy.

In the words of Kurt Cobain, "Oh Well, Whatever, Nevermind."

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

OMG.....I thought this was FOR REAL!!!
You scared the h*** out of me,D.
Yup,dreams are a bummer.Or should I say NIGHTMARES.Mine come in the form of prison stuff sometimes.Just weird stuff that can't be real.Not just a regular prison---wierd stuff,ya know?
Just got out of the hospital again,back at work,and my a*** is dragging from too much freakin rest.
But had to keep up w/ the awesome D.J. Genocyde!!

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home