|

Friday, July 28, 2006

American Apathy?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here it is. Take a look. Sure, it's a flame. Nice, softly-glowing. Nothing menacing there. Just what you'll see at candlelight vigils around the world. People holding candles with them glowing so softly and all you see in it is a unity. It's where people from all walks of life come together under a common purpose and show that each flame represents a soul on this planet and, this particular one, lets you know the real intention.

Some arbitrary article said that the online vigil was only supposed to last until the 27th. Yesterday. Ok, but I think I'll keep mine going. Others are putting theirs out.

Why? The war is still on. Violence around the world is at an escalation. Truly terrible things are happening right now, this minute while you sit there reading the words that I'm writing.

So why put the candles out? Short attention span?

We still have so many social ills here that are taking a turn for the worst and, I'm sorry to have to tell you this Mr. and Mrs. Public, but the condition has now upgraded to critical.

What if you were told your sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, cousins, family, friends...any of them...if they were on life support wouldn't you light a candle for them until they got better? Wouldn't you keep it lit until they were in the clear?

Michale Graves told me during the interview that Music once seemed as though it were on a mission of mercy to save the world. We had Live Aid, Farm Aid, "We Are The World"...does no one remember this anymore?

I mourn often. I mourn the loss of loved ones from so long ago. I mourn the day I was looked down upon as I took up the reins on causes I thought were worth the time and energy it took to put forth the effort. Most of all, I mourn for this nation and this generation. Good Old Apathy strikes again.

I could remember a time when I could sit back, only care about what misadventure Beavis and Butt-Head were going to get into next and which band's videos were going to be on Headbanger's Ball. It's not like that anymore. That can't be all I care about. Why? I don't know. What I do know is the one thing that my dad never taught me...he never taught me how to quit. He never did teach me how to give up and throw in the towel. Even when everyone was bringing someone's worst traits out for all to see, I'd give that person the benefit of the doubt until they proved me otherwise.

Why? Because I was never taught how to quit.

So an article declared the 27th your quitting time. Who the hell is that person to get something started to put a time limit on it? MySpace can have my account if they want it, I don't care. I'm not changing my damn candle picture. If you don't like it, get the hell off of my profile. I'm not going to take it down here. If you don't like it, get the hell off my blog. I have a choice and I made it. You have options too. When people got scared of two knobs, we were given something with many many buttons and now, people are still bothered.

My freedom ends where yours begins? Guess what, here's where mine ends. This is my bubble. You wander inside it, you take your chances. Don't come in here telling me where the bear shits in the woods...you won't like the result.

Here is where your freedom begins, you have the option to stay or walk. I don't care which you do but here, on my little wall. I'll write whatever the hell I like. You don't have to like it, just deal with it.

So, as for me, I'm keeping my candle. I'm keeping it for our soldiers. I'm keeping it for peace so they can come home and be with their families. I'm keeping it for The West Memphis Three. I'm keeping it in hopes that The Idiot Child will listen to reason. I'm keeping it for a million different reasons.

What about the rest of you? Don't you have reasons as well? Did your parents teach you to give up or was it self-taught.

In America, apathy can be our friend at times but today, it is our worst enemy.

Why do I keep my candle lit?

Because I was never taught how to give up. Deal with it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

Hey tootse!
popping in to say hi and see what is in your thinker today!
hugs....T.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home