|

Friday, April 04, 2008

Episode 95: The Great Car-Shopping Debacle

My feet beat the streets on a regular basis. I’ve been walking since my first car. I love to drive but when things are in walking distance, even across town, why bother? Better to take the mountain bike and burn off some calories or even walk, doing the same and enjoy podcasts of Coast To Coast AM or my music that’s been loaded onto my iPod. Why drive, burn more gas and sit there through traffic when my state of motion without a vehicle is almost always perpetual?

Still, being completely without a vehicle is possibly the most undesirable state that can be imagined. During extreme weather that can be the norm here in Louisiana. Rain, thunderstorms, humidity, cold, heat...none of these are worth the effort it takes to run to the store for a pack of batteries. Not only that but while catching a ride to work while without a car by mechanical failure or by absentia, it still leaves me at the mercy of relying on someone else or having to take the grueling bike ride through merciless wind drag from large 18-wheelers passing or unforgiving terrain when the asphalt shoulder runs out. Put simply, that ride was more or less designed for auto or walking and most assuredly not mountain bike.

So, it was last year sometime that I began looking for a car. At the time, the credit union had approved me for a loan of $6,000. This would afford me great breathing room in finding a vehicle. The only question that I had was that which did I want, a car or a truck? After much thought, I hadn’t really come to a decision. During my walks since then, I’d seen many cars and trucks that were just out of range for me as well as being completely uneconomical on feul. Still, I wanted to sell the car I had first. After having sold it for the price asked, the thought of actually obtaining a car had never crossed my mind again. I simply could not find one that was within the range.

I couldn’t, that is, until I’d decided, against my better judgment, to go for a little walk. Upon my little walk, on my way back to the park to sit and begin writing my latest blog, I spotted it. It was a 1996 Chevy Silverado in a beautiful green color and the price was only $4,000. Not bad, I thought. I gave it much more thought along the way as I made sure that the phone had firmly had the phone number from the truck. I sat around, biding my time until morning when I would call the number and inquire more about the truck. After calling Misty and waking her up, I finally called the number. The conversation was only slightly disheartening. The girl who owned the truck, Amber, detailed to me that the inside door handle was broken, the driver’s side mirror was busted, the gas cap was gone, many things were disconnected due to lack of knowledge as to how to work them, it had almost 160,000 Highway miles, the speedometer was ten miles slow due to the size of the wheels, the blinkers had a short and the oil pressure guage wasn’t working. Needless to say, I still went to the tanning salon where it was parked and had a look. Upon closer inspection, I could see that the truck would be worthless to me. The low-profile tires on the truck were bad and new tires would cost roughly $2,000. As well, there were wires hanging from the underside. It worried me greatly. I thought for sure I’d found myself at another dead end. Damn. I returned the key and told her I’d get back with her.

As I was leaving, my dad and I discussed it. That worthless scrap pile would never do for me at all. I would spend more than I cared to fixing it. Basically, I’d have been better off trying to fix my old Camaro that I’d sold. As my own frustration was about to settle in one more time, that’s when the good news came. A man my dad knew was bringing a truck in to sell it. Everything worked on it, it had brand-new tires and, in lieu of the V-6, I would be getting a 4-cylinder. The price was even better $3,600. For a truck where everything worked and worked well but was only one year older...that was a steal.

When I took a look at the truck, I got even more good news. Brand new CD player with the option to patch my iPod into it, the AC also and barely 102,000 miles on the odometer. The only two downsides are the crack in the windshield and the fact that it’s a standard transmission rather than an automatic. When I asked again what it was he wanted for it, that’s where the last bit of good news came. He quoted me a price of $3,200.

Immediately, I got his number and ran home to call the credit union. After much talking, they agreed to the price but would not agree to finance the truck in full. My part would be nearly $350 down for tax, title and license. After checking my account, I realized that this would dip into the money I had saved for the trip to New Jersey this year. This alone was disheartening as the man to whom my dad had introduced me would need word by the end of the day. I called Misty to tell her about the problem. She seemed optimistic but I had one problem...what would the payments be on this? Could I afford it? I called the credit union back and received a quote that lifted my spirits slightly. I finally called him up and told him that it was on like Donkey Kong and we would be able to start the proceedings by Monday if that was good. He agreed and now...it seems that I’ll be driving a black ’95 Nissan single cab come next week.

As odd as it may seem, I won’t be driving it much. I just normally don’t drive unless I have too much to carry. Still, knowing that I will be able to do far more than what I have been doing and having that option is a rather cheerful thing. Knowing that I don’t have to hurry my ass off when I’m running slightly behind so my riding partner doesn’t become too impatient with me is also comforting.

Monday morning, I’ll be piloting a small black truck around town on occasion. What is most interesting about this is that my vehicle problem is finally solved and, while I still may retain a vehicle, I’ll still be known for my walking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home