|

Friday, November 03, 2006

Snowball's Adventures

I've been sitting here unable to sleep all day. Insomnia strikes again. Perhaps it's like it is during any vacation time I have. It's simply the fact that my body somehow wants to adjust to see the thing that usually screws me up (flesh and eyes) on a near-daily basis...daylight.

A revelation unfolded in my mind as I began reflecting on Snowball's latest stunt, his long journey away from home.

Snowball's been clingy these past couple of days. Many were happy that Snowball returned, as I was, but I began wondering why wouldn't this cat let me work? Furthermore, why would he cling to me or run for the door whenever I stood from where I was sitting? It didn't make sense to me. I was the one that was here the whole time. He was the one who had left and each time he left, I'd take the furry shit back with open arms.

He didn't appear wounded by any means. He still has his collar. He doesn't look as though he's missed a meal since his journey.

So what the hell was making this cat as clingy as a few of those past girlfriends who had little to no self-esteem.

I recalled after Rayne left he had disappeared for about a week. He had become close to her as well as me and no matter whether he ate just prior to me, he would still beg for whatever it was I was eating. On some occasions, he'd become daring, trying to sneak off with my food before I caught him. A master thief, he is not. Still, he'd become close to Rayne and would be her constant companion as well as my own. Once Rayne left, though, things changed. He'd left as well and stayed gone. I didn't go in search of him. He liked the outdoors and something inside me told me he'd be back. One week later, he was, begging to come inside.

He instantly connected with Misty when she arrived. During her two-week stay, I'd see him curled up to her constantly. He'd seem a bit perturbed when she would take walks with me. I didn't even take notice of these things until much later but when Misty left for Jersey again. Snowball left as well and there's no telling how long he'd stayed gone this time.

That's when things began to add up. Snowball was going in search of his two lost companions. This last time proved to him to be the most harrowing. He'd become lost and confused, having to rely on his instincts for survival. There's no telling where he slept or ate, where he played or with whom he met along the way. There was just the fact that he turned up when he did. Now, the little fuzzbucket clings to me as though he's afraid I'll be the one to abandon him.

I used to be of the mind that animals were not in need of psychiatric evaluation. Perhaps it's time Snowball had one.

Don't get me wrong. I love my cats. I'd resort to savagery to protect them but Snowball has issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home