|

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Sprint/Nextel To Customers: Put Up Or Shut Up.

Sprint Drops 1,000 Customers At The End of July

Like many times I post anything to my blogs, people, I wish I were joking.

If you're a Sprint/Nextel customer, consider changing your service. According to the article, they're dropping 1,000 customers as of the end of July. Thier reasons? These customers complain too much.

By evidence of their action, this corporate juggernaut is sending a message to their existing customer base by simply telling them to "Put up or shut up." It was my understanding that when you have unhappy customers, you do whatever is necessary to make them happy in order to keep business. I still remember being told that there are two cardinal rules in the realm of Customer Service. The first is that The Customer Is Always Right. The second is that If The Customer Is Ever Wrong, Refer To The First Rule. In this case, Sprint/Nextel is treating their customer base as though they're a disposable commodity.

Well, I have to say this, Sprint customers, Rise up. I've shown Sony/BMG the power of consumerism and you can too. Yeah, go for it, If you're unhappy with their service, tell them about it. If they see fit to drop you, guess what? There are a load of other carriers that have the same if not better service who will treat you like a damn king or queen to keep your service. I've done a comparison of about four carriers and here is what I've found so far.

1. Virgin Mobile: This is a prepaid service that uses Sprint's network. While it's alright, I wouldn't recommend it. Why? During the aftermath of Rita, my Virgin Mobile would not find a signal anywhere. Many others who had Sprint phones were using my other phone (coming up next) to make phone calls and explain that they were getting no service. This was almost two years ago. Have they solved this problem? That remains to be seen.

2. Cingular/AT&T: No complaints with this one yet. They have even dismissed any charges incurred for ringtones or games that I downloaded that I simply didn't like. I think I've lost service two times during the aftermath of Rita. Not for very long, though. Maybe an hour at the most. After that, it would come back and everything would be back to normal. The most dropped calls I've had was recently when all the updates were made for the upcoming iPhone (Thanks A Freakin' Load, Apple!) but now that that's over, I've been making calls without them being dropped...unless my battery dies. Not just that but their Customer Service has been ultra-friendly and they make sure that I'm 100% happy with what's going on with my phone. They don't just want to have me going, "Ok, I guess that will work." They want me saying, "I can do WHAT?! No kidding?! Gnarly! Alright! Thanks!" Thing is, they won't stop until I'm happy.

3. Verizon: I've talked to several people who've had Verizon's service and those who've had Cingular and switched, only wish they were still with Cingular. That's enough for me not to switch.

4. Centennial: I would have switched to these guys BUT their "blue region" is restricted to the Southern States only and it's a little spotty. I've also learned that I wouldn't be able to take my phone with me if I moved...not good at all. These mobile phones were made mobile for a damn reason and if I can't take it everywhere with me without having to pay for some dumb roaming charge, I don't want it. There's something else. Back when I was going to get my first RAZR, it would have cost me $300 to get one through them that was this crappy "Ice Blue" color that looked like frozen puke. I got a black one through Cingular for like $100. Hmmm...decisions, decisions.

Now these are what I've seen with these four myself and whichever one is your thing is solely up to you. I know what I'm going and staying with for the time being but if you feel like being one of the rest of Sprint's "disposable commodities" I'll simply respect your decision on that. It's your phone, your call. For the rest, tell them you're not second-rate and you're not just gonna take whatever. You're a damned customer and you're never wrong. If they can't accept that, walk...plenty of other services out there.

I think Sprint/Nextel has grown too big for their own good and it's high past time that people start telling corporations like this one what it is they want. If they won't give it to you, walk.

The only shred of decency that Sprint/Nextel has shown is that they are waiving the early termination fees. That's another thing...these companies should earn those early termination fees. If they truly have done everything in their power to keep you happy and make you happy if you're not, then they get it. If they are unable to meet your needs, you should have the option to simply get out and then go with another carrier.

Maybe it's time we told them this. Let's not be happy with second-rate service from a second-rate corporation, let's go full-scale and all-out. Let's tell them that they entered into a contract with us and we're holding up our end of the bargain...when will they hold up theirs?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home