|

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Horrid Conception Of The ExtremeMachine


Ok, Time To Get Nasty....Almost Posted by Picasa


Yesterday was the day I was waiting so patiently for. The USS Virus (my computer) has been in the process of being tricked out nine ways to Sunday and there are still more upgrades to come in later months.

First there were the mics and popscreens (see inset pic) for more efficient shows. What came in next were the ensuing madnesses to follow.

1. The new sound card. It was a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit soundcard. This little bastard took my sound to new heights after I had to reset everything to that card from it totally overriding my onboard card. Not to worry though, better sound yielded much better show playback....the sound is much more crisp and clear now. Only problem is my mics are still kinda low even turned all the way up. Dunno what that's all about but you can bet your ass I'm going to find out.

2. Splitters. The stereo splitters actually allow me to plug two mics into the one port. Basically it's one male plug that splits off into a "Y" configuration so that I can stick both mics and both sets of headphones into the only two ports for mics and headsets. Gotta love it. Besides, I'll need them for the co host coming up.

3. Headsets. Remember those cans that covered your entire head during the '70s? The same types that most pro radio studios are using these days? Mine are two Cyber Acoustics Pro Series Stereo Headphones and talk about comfort...they don't fuck with me until I'm wearing my upper ear stud in my left ear. Not only do they sound good but the comfort level and sound adjustability is superb. What a great set of headphones. They're perfect for even listening to the MP3 player....not that I'd want headphones that big for such a task....though they may help in getting people to realize that I can't hear their horns when they're honking at me.

4. The USB Speakers. Wow! The whole set comes in one unit that's actually smaller in diameter than a CD. Two satellite speakers and a subwoofer, they provide clear sound that's decent for musical playback. In fact, this set by Tritton actually looks like a small UFO. The satellite speakers flip up and fold in and talk about compact. For only $20 I couldn't have asked for better.

Now, with all of that rigged, wired, jacked and full-throttle the only thing I was waiting for was that High Density 1 GB stick of RAM I bought. Today I got it to find out that my board doesn't support PC2700 RAM at all. The bastards at Samsung had stuck a label to the 256 MB stick of RAM that I have in it indicating that it was PC 2700, nope. It is, in fact, PC2100 which means that, not only was it incompatible but I'd just wasted the cash on RAM that wasn't gonna work with my machine.

For those of you unfamiliar with my Station, it's an eMachine W2646. EMachines were built mainly for affordability. Which, in essence, means you're buying a bare bones system with the parts to make it work instead of starting from scratch. My quest to trick this machine out has been a long one and it's been a rough road. Soon, though, I'll get it. I'm still learning more and more about the hardware by the day.

So with that in mind, and talking to Joe Fuckin Scott (Guitarist - Antitrust) who owns the same computer I do, he directed me to
  • Crucial's Memory Shop
  • to look at more RAM. Perhaps my system would not support High Density RAM due largely to it's cheap motherboard and chipset. I realized after ordering two sticks of 512MB PC2100 RAM that I was going to have to upgrade the motherboard and chipset as well in order to turn this from an eMachine into an ExtremeMachine.

    For the longest time this thing remained factory. Still, ask anyone who knows me, nothing remains factory with me for long. I have to take it apart, see how it works and why. One of these days I'll rig solar panels to batteries outside the wall and run the power source through that. Talk about an energy saver.

    Why?

    Because it will be Extreme.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home