|

Friday, July 24, 2009

Episode 13: Console Crash

You'd think that after the trials and tribulations I'd suffered recently, they'd be over. No rest for the wicked. It never ends.

I'd told Misty time and again that I'd have to eventually replace the eMachine that I used to fly through cyberspace. Unfortunately, I listened to her as she disagreed.

Once I'd landed in Night City, the problems with the machine escalated. The red kept going in and out on the display, leaving anything that displayed a red color to revert to a green tint or go completely black. Not good at all. Then the RAM went to shit and I had to replace it. Also...not...good. Today, prior to leaving the cube to stock up on supplies, the machine worked fine...sans the red color in the display, of course. When we returned to the cube, I turned it on in order to find the cheat code for the PSP game Infected for the one-dollar avatar.

It turned on but didn't do jack shit. I've been down this road before and it sucks. Console Death, they call it. It's what happens when the runner goes the distance. It just fails. Mechanical things...they fail. No Divine Intervention for my machine. It's just faded on and now...let me tell you...this is why Commandment Numero Uno is so important. Is it possible that this problem could be fixed? Maybe...but I think it would only prolong the inevitable. With Divine Intervention of Two Years at a full-service Purgatory Center, it could have been diagnosed, it's evil bytes purged by way of a technological exorcism and sent home, ready to rock and delivered from evil. This is not the case with it, however, and for it's services to me and you who used to tune in, I think it's done a damned fine job for the three years it ran through cyberspace.

Now, I'm running on the smaller of the two computers. The laptop which has served me well thus far and, of course, the iPhone has never let me down on the fly.

I've decided that eMachines will no longer suffice. Longevity issues are the problem. Now, I've switched to something better. I've opted for a Dell. This particular Dell was called the Dell Studio Desktop. It has half a terabyte of Hard Drive, Two Gigs of RAM, multiple expansion slots and pure, raw power...plus a free upgrade to Windows 7. I contacted Doc about that one. He NEVER gets excited about an operating system. This is the exception. Windows 7 has become what Windows XP and Windows Vista should have been.

I used to muse day in and day out about an Extreme Machine and it looks like I might have on on the lower end. Hopefully, I'll have enough space to slap those other two RAM sticks into it, pop my Sound Card in and my Secondary Hard Drive that contains my music. I'm going to upgrade to another half a terabyte later and then...it's on.

I'm currently sitting at a stop in cyberspace. I get around a bit but I'm waiting for that next ship to take me where I need to go. Not that this one won't do but I just don't like to overheat her. I'm still here and soon...I'll be on my way again.

The crash hasn't left me in completely dire straits but the lack of startup wasn't what I'd call fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home