|

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Episode 31: Cyberwar With Windows 7

It took me freakin' months to get Windows 7 outta Arvato.

For those of you unfamiliar with Arvato, this is a company that is riddled with people from India all doing tech support. I don't have a problem with people of another nationality handling things but I require the following:

1. No Scripts. You MUST be able to interact with ME, not the other way around. If you don't have a working knowledge of how to communicate with me, don't bother me. I'm going off your script and I'm going to make sure your brain is gripped with panic from doing it.

2. Communicate With Each Other. If your department can't handle something as simple as communicating with another section of your fiercely-compartmentalized pyramid structure business model, then I'm going to return with a vengeance and then, your script will be like Xerxes' Persian Hordes at Thermopylae Pass. They won't count for shit.

3. You Can't Understand My Frustration. Period.

Arvato's employees needed me to fax over my receipt from my computer purchase in order for me to get the Windows 7 Upgrade discs. I did. Three weeks later, they hadn't received it. I faxed it again and called Arvato to ensure it had arrived, I was assured it was in the tech's hand. Three weeks later, another email stating they hadn't received it. Okay...that's it. The last time, I had to literally take a picture of the damned thing and send THAT to them. I did and called them. My order finally went through.

An hour later, another email stating that they would need another three weeks. Fuck. That.

I called them and was assured that a tracking number would be forthcoming. Naturally, that happened. One hand simply won't wash the other.

It still took about two weeks to reach me and then, I began upgrading.

One major problem...the backing up of files.

See, when you use the backup tool, it also transfers over all the useless files that you had lingering around since August. Naturally, that causes a problem. Once I'd upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, the benefits clearly emerged and made their presence known. I couldn't get over how great some of it was but that's when The Problem reared it's ugly head.

CRASH! Blue Screen of Death!

Anything over two gigs transferring from one hard drive to another caused my computer to blue screen. I'm digging into the computer's files and looking around, I'm doing virus scans and adware scans...nothing. Kaspersky and Spybot found nada.

Time to go online and consult with others who have expertise outside of my own range. Needless to say, my worst fears were confirmed.

On one of my days off of work, I sat in my office chair, Porky Piggin' It and having to literally do a reinstall. What that means is grabbing what I could and reinstalling Vista. Once the computer was back to factory settings, THEN I could upgrade again.

During Upgrade 2.0, I found the problem. Three game demos HP had installed were causing conflicts with Windows 7. Crap in a handbag.

I was doing a double-take at my screen. I couldn't believe it. I ixnayed everything that wasn't necessary to run the system and then upgraded. Now, it's working, I transfer files without a problem and all but I'll be damned if I didn't lose my gadgets and crap. Not that I really used it because I'm still a bit of old school when it comes to how I work with files and the like but still...all of that over three damn game demos?

So, as Tammi put it so eloquently at one time, I'm pissin' in high cotton.

...and my desk still looks like a bomb hit it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

When you asked me what the differences were...in Vista & Windows 7...as you can see now..its hard to explain how neat-o alot of the things are.But hard to explain them.I'm no good at explaining tech stuff anyways.
Anyways..congrats on your change-over! and NOW I'm gona have to call you a genious! Cuz I wouldn't have been able to do that...I don't think.I mean,my other computer was/is still good,so I guess I could have just upgrated.But instead I got this new one,and I STILL think HP is a better quality computer than an E-Machine.Which explains the major difference in the prices too!lol
E-machine is an el-cheapo,which leaves me wondering if I'm gona have trouble out of this one...cuz on the long-haul,I didn't have too many glitches in HP..but they say I will w/ E-Machine.So I guess in time we'll see.Until then,I'm still pissin' in high cotton.lol
I turned into a Mini-Damien lately...have u noticed?Referring to the way I neglect my blog.So I suppose I can't nag your a*** anymore for not updating(so I can nose into your life)....cuz I can't seem to keep up w/ blogging or checking up on my faves either.Bummer.
I found it's much easier to go Facebook.lol..Plus my family is F.B.ing...my aunts and uncles,cousins,etc...
So are you glad your where your at,or do you miss anything about what you referred to as "shit-hole-usa"haha...Take care,buddy!!
huggggggs

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home