|

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Episode 25: Watch Your Language

Before you go batshit crazy on me, hear me out here. Did you know that the English language is the hardest in the world to learn? Know why? It's because there's so much slang out there.

Let me get to you on a cerebral level here. Lend me your brains for a minute and I'm going to show you why you should question everything...even what I have to say.

Let's go back to that fiasco about China's "Lead" scare. Sure thing, we outsource production to other countries because they can make stuff for pennies on the dollar and then, just when you think all is well we get to take a few doses of some bad medicine. Let's examine what happened when the Great and Powerful "Lead" Chinese made (still makes?) our stuff.

First, the quality was certainly worth the cost of production. Nothing lasts.

Second, it was overpriced and no honest, working American could afford it. Am I the only guy that remembers when a Ninja Turtle figure cost about five bucks? Now, they're damn near twelve! Jeez!

Third...lead-based paints.

Well, that just "lead" to people going batshit insane and wouldn't you know it...it ended up going way over the line.

I think we can all agree that we didn't want lead-based paint in our products. I mean, we've all been warned of all the danger to us, our health, the environment...

and we started screaming "NO LEAD PRODUCTS FROM CHINA!"

Well, the Chinese were happier than pigs in shit to oblige us...and so was the anti-gun lobby. Yeah, but what the hell did THEY have to bitch about?

What are bullets made of, guys? See, I have to illustrate this completely through so you'll understand.

The Anatomy of A Bullet:

A bullet from a gun is composed of several parts. First, you have to have a shell casing, a primer, powder and the actual bullet itself.

Once the firing pin strikes the primer, the primer causes the gunpowder in the shell casing to heat up rapidly. There's not a whole lotta room in that shell casing and so there's the explosion, sending a lead projectile down the barrel in a twist and finally it flies through the air at rapid speed, into the target. Then, the shell casing is ejected.

So which part is lead? The shell casing is made of brass and not much more than that, the primer is ...hell I dunno what it is and gunpowder is gunpowder but the bullet itself...that part that comes out of the gun is lead...through and through.

So why is a bullet composed of lead? Well, kids, that's because when a bullet enters a target, it must mushroom and dump it's energy midway through the target to do the most damage. If it just went through the target, sure, it might get messed up but there might be someone or something you don't want to shoot behind the target. When it mushrooms, it dumps the energy it's carrying and does massive tissue damage. Internal organs are screwed and you might as well call it a wrap on the deer or intruder you shot.

The anti-gun called your cries a victory and the Red Lead Chinese were only happy to help them and you along. No more lead bullets being shipped from overseas and then...we had a run on ammunition in just about all fifty states.

Now, during the summer, there was that whole Manny Ramirez thing. I'm sure you remember that he tested positive for "Performance Enhancing Drugs."

Okay, let's just say I'm new to this whole thing and I don't know a thing about sports. Better yet...let's not pretend. I'm nearly totally illiterate when it comes to sports so I must ask, what drugs was it that Manny was testing positive for and why should this matter to me as a potential sports fan? Were you really looking out for his health or were you merely worried that he cheated and do these supposed drugs fall into the realm of cheating to gain an unfair advantage? In that case, why not allow all players to use these drugs if the advantage is so unfair?

Do you know that I'm not getting answers to these and it's now into late Autumn/early Winter?

That leads me to believe one thing, the impending cries of "NO PERFORMANCE ENHANCING DRUGS" are on their way and that worries me.

As an avid Vitamin C user, I can honestly say that I haven't been feeling sick this year. It's been one of the few where I was actually able to ward off most sicknesses that do tend to plague me on a regular basis and, I don't mind telling you, I feel great day in and day out. I get up feeling like a million bucks and I just don't stop going. I don't do "energy drinks" because I just crash two hours later. Every day at work, I deal with the crap people give me and still maintain a fairly decent enough attitude to get through my day without just falling out at the end of it. Obviously, Vitamin C has enhanced my performance but, really, let's start meaning what it is we say and start saying what we mean.

If you don't want someone doing steroids as a means to get ahead, by all means, say so but beware of these broad generalizations...they're doing more harm than good.

Oh and by the way, if anyone thinks I'm splitting hairs...all I have to say is that I remember what happened the last time.

People, watch your language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home