|

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Episode 90: An Advance To The Rear

As many of you know, I've been of the opinion that Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley Jr. (otherwise known as The West Memphis Three) are innocent of the horrible triple murder for which each was convicted.

Until several years ago, I hadn't really found a way to find others and get involved and possibly find some way of helping out in getting the right people (namely judges, attorneys, etc.) to reopen this case and have another look at it. It's only within the past year or so that I've finally had the opportunity to work with some of the supporters who've been active in this case for so long. Naturally, not many in this particular town know about this case with the exception of a few of the people I work with. Even then, I've had to bear ad hominem attacks and attempted guilt trips (albeit unsuccessful) from those that disagree with me, each basing their disagreement on what they perceive to be limited research on my part.

Online it's been much worse. I've suffered death threats by "Reverend" R.G. Green's muderously rabid followers, I've had my share of ad hominem attacks from various detractors who literally despise my existence based solely on the fact that I'm a supporter. These, I don't take personally in the least. For those offering threats, I do send out my address and you're more than welcome to come along at any time to make good on them. I'm not afraid of you one bit. Do what you must. In plain terms, put up or shut up.

What I never expected were attacks from fellow supporters. One slam I can let ride. Two, I usually talk to someone else a little higher up to aid in settling but when it's four (two of them in one day, one of them being someone I believed could and would help) then that's when I lose hope.

Recently, that hope I'd had was rocked. Support in terms of defense funding for the three has come primarily from online contributors and donations. Sadly, the network established has been suffering lately due to selective policy enforcement (or lack thereof) by those appointed to moderate both the chat room AND the message board. There is a habit of sorts involved. That being to let nonsensical detractors come into them, ranting, raving and carrying on with impunity and then coming down on supporters themselves for even bothering to respond in a non-inflammatory sense with fact or their choice in chat handles. In this, supporters now find themselves having to justify what they came to do in the first place...discuss. In some cases, such as mine, being opinionated or reserving the right to go toe-to-digital-toe with a moderator is enough to make one unwelcome.

I refuse to bow and back out of a chat room because someone has a moderator status. I'm sorry but this is almost Two Thousand And Bloody Eight last I checked.

As defending yourself, the integrity of the board or the integrity of the case is not good policy for the WM3 Case Discussion Chat And Messageboard and since I am now no longer sure as to whom I can turn to or trust, I have announced my official withdrawl from the movement.

Now that you have the bad news, I'll give you the good news in clarification.

1. This does not mean, in any way, that I have stopped supporting the WM3. They're still innocent of this crime and I do not believe that they should have to pay (nor should the families of anyone involved in this case) for the questionable judgment calls of moderators.

2. This DOES mean I will no longer be visiting the chat nor will I be hosting the show from it or advertising it in any way.

3. This Also Means I will not be posting to the message boards anytime soon.

4. Anyone who seeks to work with me on raising awareness for this case CAN still approach me. This is, however, on a case-by-case basis. There are friends that I've made along the way and I have no problems working with them at all, however, there are also others that I cannot work with because they have decided that my help in their endeavors is unwelcome. Those that approach me will know which. Those that I've already agreed to help, that still stands.

5. Any blogs or bulletins that are posted by me on MySpace or Fubar are simply reposts. Go to the original sources for more on the posts you see

I cannot express to my friends within the supporter community my deepest regrets that it ended up being this way. I only ask them to understand that it was taken out of my hands this past Friday and, after thinking about it during the rest of the weekend and part of last night at work, I'd simply concluded that perhaps it was time for me to move along. What saddened me most was that it was someone I'd perceived to be a friend and had even offered to help in the past who had toss the final straw onto the weakened camel's back.

The truth is, not everyone in the WM3 Online Support Community is as short-fused as the ones I'd encountered. The sad fact is that, the ones who have been appointed are short-fused and will act on the "shoot first and ask questions later" principle at their own whim. I do not understand why they're not all on the same page, nor am I asking.

The cause is well worth the flack I take from vicious detractors but the community that has been formed is not worth the flack I'm taking from other supporters who are espousing that each and every one of us should act "mature and adult" while treating us like children. Sadly, I see it coming apart and the three currently convicted going nowhere fast because of how many supporters suddenly finding themselves alienated by the very people they've tried to help.

I just hope that I'm wrong in that prediction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home