|

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Deep Thought: I Can't Say That...But That Hasn't Stopped Me Yet

We remember what Dog The Bounty Hunter did. We also remember the full-frontal salvo that was delivered to him the moment the word (should I say N-word) got out. After seeing the news lately, I've vowed that I'm now more nauseated than I ever have been in my life.

I'm not nauseated because Dog got his show back. I still fully support that guy and his efforts to rid the streets of his community of the disease that's plaguing them. I still don't support his opportunist son. I still don't care what you think of me for that.

What I have to ask you is why? Why the double-standard here?

Granted, I don't publicly back any of the candidates on the ballot. I still think we should have a None of The Above option and I still say it's time for us as a nation to decide. Do we prosecute the crime for all or do we make it selective.

If we're going after that, why so selective?

After Kevin Smith wrote Jeff Anderson's "I'll be damned if he comes in and treats me like I'm some sort of porch monkey" line and Jeff's powerful utterance thereof or Quentin Tarantino's liberal scripting of the dreaded "N-Word" why are we not going after them? Why are we not going after all these rappers? Hell, why isn't anyone else losing their career?

Just recently, I've had to bear witness to Jesse Jackson's remarks about cutting Barack Obama's nuts off and then, one month later...he dropped the dreaded N-word. As I predicted, all he had to do was make an apology and all was well. Why hasn't the NAACP gone after him? Why have we not encouraged it?

George Carlin used the word on stage once and his audiences applauded him.

I could list the suspects involved for days but why, people? Why should I? Why should Dog Chapman have to nearly go door-to-door, state-to-state humbling himself before all of us when not one of these people ever have to? Are we seriously going to allow the careers of others to be built on this bullshit or go on as normal while he has to work his ass off to get his back on track and rebuild from there?

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't wash.

It seems the roles have reversed somewhere and reverse racism is still racism by any and all means. Don't tell me I can't say something because I'm a white man with a bald head...it doesn't make a shit to me what others may think of me. I'm not concerned with it. If you agree with me, great. If not, that's fine. If I'm suddenly your enemy over a word or two...Fuck You.

Consider this scene in Clerks II...read on the following and figure it out:

Randal Graves
: Since when did porch monkey become a racial slur?

Dante Hicks
: When ignorant racists started saying it a hundred years ago!

Randal Graves
: Oh, bullshit! My grandmother used to call me a porch monkey all the time when
I was a kid because I'd sit on the porch and stare at my neighbors!

Dante Hicks
: Despite the fact that your grandmother used it as a term of endearment for you, it's still a racial slur! It'd be like your grandmother calling you a little kike!

Randal Graves
: Oh, it is not. My grandmother had the utmost respect for the Jewish community. When I was a kid she told me to always treat the Jewish kids well, or they'd put the sheeny curse on me.

Dante Hicks
: What the fuck, man?

Randal Graves
: What?

Dante Hicks
: Sheeny's a racial slur, too!

Randal Graves
: Oh, it is not.

Dante Hicks
: Yes, it is!

Randal Graves
: She never called any Jews 'sheeny', she just used to say sheeny curse a lot. It was cute!

Dante Hicks
: It wasn't cute! It was racist!

Randal Graves
: I disagree, man, she was just an old timer, that's the way people talked back then! It didn't mean they were racist... but my grandmother did refer to a broken beer bottle once as a nigger knife... you know, come to think of it, my grandmother was kind of a racist.

Dante Hicks
: You think?

Randal Graves
: Well, I still don't think porch monkey should be considered a racial term. I've always used it to describe lazy people, not lazy black people! I think if we really tried, we could re-claim porch monkey, and save it.

Dante Hicks
: It can't be saved, Randal! The sole purpose of its creation, the only reason it exists in the first place, it to disparage an entire race! And even if it could be saved, you can't save it because you're not black!

Randal Graves
: Well listen to you! Telling me I can't do something because of the color of my skin! You're the racist! I'm taking it back, you watch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home